Monday, September 22, 2008

Hearts in Throats - The DJ AM interview

{This piece originally ran on darkroomdemons.com in September of 08.}

It didn't take long.

The horrifying plane crash that claimed 4 people and left Travis Barker and our friend Adam Goldstein, aka DJ AM scarred for life had only happened 24 hours before I heard this uttered in a back room somewhere:

"Hey, who's the hottest DJ in the country?"

My response was: "Are you FUCKING KIDDING ME!?! That's fucking awful, you prick."

The argument that erupted from the constiuent of mine was that on the same day, 7 US soldiers lost their lives in a helicopter crash in some shit box corner of the bloody sandbox known as Iraq. Gimme a break. They know what can happen every time they're deployed. I don't think AM, Travis, or the 4 others ever signed on a dotted line to be put under deadly risk when they boarder that Lear Jet in South Carolina.

Apples and Oranges my friends. Apples and Oranges.

To me, there is no comparison of an unspeakable tragedy that has befallen someone who has always been sincere to us, who has shared his uncanny talents with our crowds, and has above all, been humble every time we're lucky enough to hang out. DJ AM is one of the last people I could name who deserves a rough hand dealt like this one. A known reformed addict and alcoholic, he has served as an inspiration not only for me, but for countless others who have had the chance to regain their life from the vice grips of chemical addiction. Granted, my case has since changed, but that will never alter the fact that when I wasn't sure what to make of my new found sobriety 3 years ago, AM came to town and was supportive and openly receptive to my own personal struggle - despite the fact that he was dealing with the glazed over eyes of invasive local media and the pressure of conquering a new city. He took time to listen, to talk and finally to trust. I've met a ton of douchebags from Hollywood who follow the same chemically handicapped path who are still completely selfish troglodytes not worth a damn.

So imagine my horror when Reeves texted me the news. This is a guy who let us in, who is part of our extended family in LA and now he's in an induced coma in Georgia's Burn Center getting skin grafts on his head.

AM is a rock star - He took his He and Travis are widely considered the only redeeming factor of the VMAs. I did an interview with AM right after we met when I was writing for Chicago Scene which conicedentally, is running in October's issue - THREE YEARS LATER. The reason it still works is because I didn't go for temporal topics, instead sticking to what I thought would get to the core of who AM is. (Note: James Frey's 'Million Little Pieces' had already been debunked by Oprah and still AM cites it as a favorite because of the message.)


drd: 5 people, living or dead, that you would like to have a conversation with?

AM: My dad, Biggie Smalls, Elton John, Steven King, Dr. Bob Wilson

drd: Okay, how about 5 records, 4 movies and 3 books you can't live without?

AM: Jesus! (Laughs)

RECORDS “Goodbye Yellow Brick Road” - Elton John,
“Ready To Die” – Biggie, “System Of A Down” - System Of A Down,
“Blood Sugar Sex Magic” - Red Hot Chili Peppers, “Full Clip” - Gangstar

MOVIES: Shawshank Redemption, City Of God, Trading Places, Big Lebowski

BOOKS: A Million Little Pieces, The Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, Scar Tissue.

drd: For the record, Mr. Imelda Marcos, how many Nikes do you currently possess?

AM: 600.

drd: Chicago certainly has embraced you over the last few years. We're a little far off the beaten path you trounce. Are we part of a global domination route or is there something that grabbed you (beside dough) and made you say "Ok. Chicago's the real deal..."?

AM: Yes, there is... Chicago's crowd is one of THE most fun I have gotten to play for. So much energy, it makes me work harder. And your pizza does not suck either!

SCENE: Do you switch the set up any when you get here or is it always a work in progress as you play from club to club, state to state?

AM: It’s always a work in progress.

drd: Well, I know its an "in and out" job, but have you had any time to schlup around the Windy City other than from the club to the hotel to the airport?

AM: I got to see a LITTLE of the city but not too much. I did a little shopping a couple times. I am from Philly and Chicago KINDA reminds me a little of it.

drdE: With all the time spent commuting and spinning, do you even have time to pull out new records?

AM: I'm always listening and looking for something new/old to play. I find the time for that.

drd: Do you ever have a moment of silence? Are you an iPod guy and what's on it if you have thousands of records already?

AM: I LOVE my silence! Most times in my car it is a ghost town. But when I play poker the iPod is my theme music.

drd: With all the celebrity backing and A-List status already gained, is there anything work wise you would like to accomplish? Like producing, etc...

AM: I would LOVE to produce again.

drd: Any artists that you want to work with, or are going to?

AM: I would like to bring Biggie back from the grave and do a triple album with him rhyming over 80s and 90s rock beats (Smiles)

drd: You’ve cited your heroes and influences DJ Craze, DJ Cash Money, and Mighty Mi, and the great Mixmaster Mike of the Beastie Boys- Who actually asked you to spin at his wedding! A-list parties are one thing, but your hero's nuptials?!? What was that like?

AM: Wow. It was a little terrifying! I was BEYOND excited he asked me. Yet, I think I peed my pants a little (KIDDING!)

drd: Having been in the spotlight and under the public eye for so long, where does your work ethic and resolve come from? Are there any days where you're like, "God, I don't want to work today?"

AM: Yes, I have had those days but not in a LONG time. Sometimes I say “God, I really don’t want to FLY today.” But then I remember that 8 years ago I was strung out on crack in a single apartment with no power and DJing 8 hour nights for a case of Budweiser. God loves me and I am SO LUCKY to be here. That’s when I shut up and get movin’!

drd: You've been quoted before about the "Lost" element of Hollywood and that the party people couldn't give a shit about the music save for the occasional head bob. That doesn't seem to have stopped the machine known as DJ AM. Why do you think that is?

AM: Well, for one, I have A.D.D. I am almost ALWAYS "working" at work. I try to never let one song play too long on its own. This can make people happy OR piss them off. But either way it grabs their attention. I am also just one lucky human.

We agree. END

The thing that bothered me most about handing this interview over last week was that I didn't take the time to call Jennie (his agent) or AM and let them know I had dusted it off from the archives. I didn't want to bug him on his tour and felt it was solid enough on its own that it still had a shelf life. I figured we could laugh about it when he'd return to Chicago in a few weeks. Now I don't think we'll see him for quite awhile. But at least our prayers will find him, his family and friends and hopefully ease their pain.

Our thoughts are always with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment