Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Public Enemies: Stephen Dorff and Stephen Graham


As I sit by my window, watching Chicago's mail delivery system collapse in tundra-like conditions, I realize that my Netflix are doomed to remain in limbo indefinitely. I am impatiently awaiting Michael Mann's newest ouvre "Public Enemies" so that I can see this goddamn gangster shitshow the way it was meant to be seen: In my living room, where my outbursts won't disturb anyone but my neighbors above, below and on both sides of me. While I have no doubt that Johnny Depp and Marion Cotillard are fabulous, personally I feel the movie rests upon the performances of the two "Stephens" who single handedly rocked our fair city's nightlife to its knees and took a few pairs of reluctant panties with them. These two hoodlums chose to go out EVERY FUCKING NIGHT while filming, sometimes even driving back from the nether-regions of Wisconsin to make last call. I am most intrigued to see if this unruly decadence is at all evident in either of their performances, but am prepared to be disappointed by stellar performances in lieu of red-eyed stumbling.Dorff's presence alone became the reason to go out every night for 4 months- not because of his history in American cinema or congenial attitude, but knowing that he would want to purchase huge prints of photos we took of his nightly antics the next day. His generosity and enthusiasm for our photos could only be matched by the surprise visit from English actor Stephen Graham. Graham, who played the most terrifying English countryside White Supremacist 'COMBO' in "This Is England" and the mousey 'Tommy' in "Snatch" opted to sleep in Dorff's palatial pleasure palace on the couch rather than utilize the hotel provided for him by production. While going out for cocktails with King Orba (Mark Wallace) and Candy Darling (Dorff in "I shot Andy Warhol") was always a hoot, it was the mere presence of the wide smiling Graham who throttled the nights to 11.
The fanboy urge it took to resist saying "Protection from what? Ze Germans?" to Graham ebbed quickly during the first week as I realized he is also in nearly every early Arctic Monkeys video. This led to mutliple conversations about the rancour of Pete Doherty, the inevitably sad fall of The Libertines and the future of Liverpool's rock contributions. Couple these late night discussions with Dorff's insatiable teenager horniness for, well, every girl within 200 yds and it made for a great 4 months. You can see more of their antics HERE and HERE in the original presentations until we put the coffee table book together.


Major shout out ot Mark Wallace aka King Orba who facilitated all of our relationships, needs and general attitudes. His music can be found HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment